Tuesday 29 April 2014

Life and Death and Life - Tiger's Tale

Title : "Life and Death and Life"
Medium : Acrylics on a wooden panel
Size : 14" x 18"
Date : April 2014
 

Through my studies focusing on anatomy and physiology (primarily of humans, but I have touched on other animals as well), I've acquired a certain appreciation for subjects that are closely related to death. Skulls and skeletons are not only some of my favourite subjects to illustrate and paint, but they are some of my favourite subjects to learn about. In fact I'm currently working towards a Master's degree in Medical Illustration, which with any luck, will be the foundation of my future career.

One of the things I have noticed about the way viewers of my art react to my skull and anatomical related pieces is that it frightens them.

I adore anatomical artwork, because I have an appreciation for the subject manner. Unfortunately many people view anatomical artwork to be about death, or have a heavy macabre feel to the work. My struggle is to bring beauty into death, if you will. My goal is to make anatomical-related artwork about life, because isn't that what it truly represents? I study anatomy and physiology, and it is about life, not death!

This line of thinking has a great effect on many of my pieces in the developmental stage. "Life and Death and Life" touches on this, revolving around the theme of life cycle, and how one life feeds another.

Now, onto the artwork!


I didn't realize it until I actually took the time to analyze what my most commonly painted subjects are, but I paint a ton of tigers!

Awhile back I picked myself up a new pallet, a fancy one that keeps paint wet for weeks when prepared properly. My house is usually kept pretty warm and dry, so blending paint usually results in far too much wastage, and an overall struggle. But with this new palate and a blending medium I was able to properly blend my paints without diluting them much.


Again threw myself a challenge: no black! All of the darkest elements in the painting are merely a very dark purple/brown/blue combination like that you see on the palate. Plain black from a tube is boring and flat, a painting is made so much more dynamic when the "blacks" are mixed.


Any questions about procedure, symbolism or anything that comes to mind? Feel free to leave a comment!

- Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment